Friday, October 29, 2010

“Guilt is regret for what we’ve done. Regret is guilt for what we didn’t do.”

I must confess, I am dying for cheer season to begin!!!  I can't wait to see my daughter in her new uniform.  I can't wait to hear the music.  I can't wait for the makeup and the glitter. 

My daughter had an amazing practice last night.  I am totally enjoying being able to watch her practice at this gym.  At the gym we were at the past 3 years, we could not watch.  This is her fifth year of All-star cheer and her first year as a flyer.  She is working so hard and I am so proud of her.  What comes along with success of our children also comes with the insecurities of others.  Sometimes, we have to remember that when our children are doing well, others may not.  This leads to jealousy and envy.  I am guilty of it myself but what about the kids, do they think about that?  I think we need to teach our kids not to look at the successes of their teammates but to look at the team as a whole and their individual achievements. 

Do you talk about the other athletes in the gym in front of yours?  How about the other parents?  It is really hard, isn't it?  It may be frustrating to deal with drama amongst the parents which is inevitable, but we must do everything in our power to make sure we do not discuss it in front of our kids.  We should not talk about parents, coaches or other athletes in front of them.  Kids don't understand and will most likely repeat what you have said and as they say "There is no such thing as a secret in Cheerleading!"




Peace, Love & Cheer

No comments:

Post a Comment