Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Cheerleading is as much a sport as Chess?

Jeff Webb, CEO of Varsity Brands was quoted as saying "Competitive Cheerleading is as much a sport as Chess"  See article Cheerleading; Is it a Competitive Sport?

Well, if chess gave my daughter the muscle tone and physical conditioning that she gets from cheer then sign me up.  But, it doesn't and it never will.  I can just give you one word describing how I feel about this comment without cussing.....I am just PISSED!

Why doesn't Jeff Webb want cheerleading to be a sport??  Well, pure greed.  This is a business to him.  He even makes money if you file a grievance at a competition.  Some competitions it costs you $100 to just complain.  There are competitions where we are charged $25 a day to get in to watch two mins and 30 seconds of our childs routine. 

What is the definition of a sport?
Definition of a Sport

What is the definition of a recreation?
Definition of Recreation

Well, what do you think?  Sure sounds like a sport, huh?

I think what will happen is that cheer will be broken up into 2 categories and one will be considered a sport under Title whatever..... and the other will still be owned by Varsity. 



I MUST CONFESS I AM AN ALL-STAR CHEER MOM AND PROUD OF IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment